Gum disease, which is also referred to as gingivitis or periodontitis when more advanced, is the leading cause of natural tooth loss in adults. It is the inflammation of the gums and surrounding tissue, which usually results when plaque buildup is left untreated.
This plaque eventually hardens into tartar or calculus and causes the gums to create periodontal pockets that contain more bacteria and toxins. As the disease progresses, bone is lost around your teeth, which may loosen and fall out.
Symptoms of gingivitis include:
- Gum tissue that are red, swollen, receding or bleeding
- Loose teeth in the advanced stages of gum disease
- Bleeding when brushing and flossing
- Chronic halitosis (bad breath)
Ivory Dental Practice helps you prevent gum disease and maintain healthy gums with our hygiene services which include, scaling, polishing, AirFlow and detailed oral hygiene instructions unique to your mouth. At-home care is also important, so be sure to take preventive measures like those listed below:
- Daily brushing: While holding the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle, go over each tooth’s surface with small circular motions.
- Flossing: Apply dental floss in and out between your teeth to remove debris that could later lead to decay and infection. Don’t forget to floss under the gum as well.
- Interdental brushing: Use interdental brushes to clear away plaque and debris that your regular brush and floss can’t access. These are ideal for larger gaps in between teeth.
By having regular dental check-ups and following good oral hygiene practices, you can prevent the onset of gum disease and keep your smile clean and healthy.