Dental fillings are a preferred restoration for fractured, worn-down or decayed teeth. If you are experiencing any of the following, you may need a filling:
- Pain when eating or biting down
- Sensitivity to hot, cold, or sweet beverages
- A hole in the tooth
Your dentist at Ivory Dental will examine and take X-rays of the affected tooth to determine if a filling is necessary. If we recommend that you have a cavity filled, it’s advisable that you do so, as untreated decay can lead to infection and even an abscess.
What filling material will be used?
Common filling materials include:
- Composite resins: Like porcelain, this filling type is matched to your tooth colour and creates a natural appearance.
- RMGI (Resin Modified Glass Ionomer): These tooth-coloured fillings are recommended for children because the treatment is of short duration and easy to tolerate.
- Amalgam: Amalgam fillings are made from blended materials that resist ‘wear and tear’. They are also budget-friendly and last up to 10 years.
The filling material that we recommend will depend on the nature of the dental damage. Other factors include:
- Cavity location
- Force of your bite
- Your personal preference
After the cavity has been filled, you will want to brush twice daily, floss at least once a day, and and use fluoride mouth rinses as directed by your dentist.
The expert dental team at Ivory Dental will take your pain away and make you smile again by delivering a filling treatment that matches your needs and budget. To schedule an consultation, contact us today.